Thursday, June 18, 2009

Beat the Heat!

Here is one way to beat the summer heat. My husband bought me a toaster oven a few years ago. It is a Black and Decker one, and it will hold a 12" pizza pan or a 9x13" casserole.

When it gets too hot to cook inside, I move the toaster oven onto my screened in back porch. I bake everything in it! I have made casseroles, baked cookies, baked poundcakes, and broiled fish.

This saves money three ways:
1. The AC doesn't work harder to cool down a hot kitchen
2. The smaller oven is just the right size to bake one pan in. No need to heat up a huge oven, which would waste electricity and money!
3. Since I can cook without heating up the house, it prevents us from going out to eat when it is too hot to cook!

Try it and see what you think! Your sweaty brow will thank me for it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i found your blog from Jamie's and i love all these frugal recipes and ideas.. i am getting some great ideas.. keep it up..