Friday, September 4, 2009

Slushies

We all love slushies in the summertime! Whether it's an Icee, a slush puppy, or a frozen drink from the gas station, they are all so good on a hot summer day! However, they can get expensive.

I fiddled around a few days ago and came up with this:


This is what I did. I poured an envelope of unsweetened kid's drink mix (I have used both KoolAid and FlavorAid with the same results) and about 3/4 cup sugar in the blender. I add one cup of hot water to dissolve the sugar, and blend on high for a few seconds to mix it all up well. Then I remove that center plastic lid thingie on my blender top and with the blender running on a pretty high speed, I think mine says "liquify", I start adding ice cubes one at a time. I blend until the blender container is full and the mixture isn't spinning anymore. Then I pour the thick mixture into glasses (use a spoon to help guide it as it is very thick and will come out in a big splash if you are not careful) and call in the family.
>They love it and I estimate 3 glasses costs us waaaaaay less that even one store bought slushie!

No comments: