Friday, August 28, 2009

Shopping for the guys

OH MY GOODNESS!
That is all I can say about this post.
Let me begin with some background for you.
My husband works on a tugboat with 3 other men. They work 7 days and nights, then they are home for 7 days and nights. The men live together and work together on the boat, sharing meals as well.

The company provides these men with grocery money every week. The crew sends two men out to buy groceries for their boat for the week. They do not have to buy cleaning supplies or paper products, as these are also furnished by the company, and they bring their own toiletries from home.

Last week, they were a man short on grocery day and my husband asked if I would accompany him on the shopping trip.

You must remember that when I shop, I go to at least 3 stores and buy the sale goods there and we work meals around those items. You can imagine how hard it was for me to plan shopping at ONE STORE!

We started out with a list made by the crew for what they wanted for the week. It was separated by department, which made the process much simpler.

What shocked me was what we had to get! Each person has specific things they want, like Sprite Zero and Ritz crackers with Cream Cheese and Hot Pockets. But the hardest part for me is that they BUY NAME BRAND EVERYTHING, AND THEY DO NOT USE COUPONS AND THEY BUY WHAT THEY WANT NO MATTER THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was breaking out in hives when my husband put Pop Secret popcorn in the buggy....$6.99 for 10 bags. It did not matter that other brands were on sale, it had to be Pop Secret. Store brand soda was on sale for $1.99 a 12 pack, would that work? NOPE! Had to be Sprite Zero at nearly $6 a 12 pack.

I am not saying that this is all bad, they work a very hard and demanding job, often in bad conditions. I can see the point of getting what foods you like as a reward. But seriously, do you know how much money these guys get to spend on food every week?

$350

YIKES! I don't spend that in a month, including cleaning supplies, paper products, health and beauty items and pet stuff!

I will need medication if I have to do that again!

1 comment:

James Peterson said...

come on it was not that bad....you got to spend a little more time with me...thank you for going with me love you