Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How I spent $146.85

Today I went grocery shopping.
My first stop was my favorite store, Publix. Here is what I got:
10 boxes Betty Crocker potatoes
2 boxes Betty Crocker brownie mix
2 boxes Barilla pasta
4 boxes of Pop Tarts
3 large bags of Pizza Rolls
3 boxes Savorings
1 box Uncrustables
1 crate of clementines
1 cantaloupe
12 pack Lipton green tea 16 oz bottles
1 box brown sugar
1 box powdered sugar
1 quart strawberries

Total: $83.71
My cost after coupons and sales: $35.04
Savings: $48.67

Moving on to Kroger:
1 package stickers
2 loaves bread
2 packages No Yolks egg noodles
1 lb. fresh cherries
1 liter soda
2 12 pks Kroger brand soda
4 naval oranges
3 grapefruits
6 boxes Kelloggs cereal
3 lbs. apples
2 lbs bacon
1 dozen eggs
2 gallons milk
4 bottles Softsoap
1 Suave shampoo
1 Suave conditioner

Total: $70.54
My total after coupons and sales: $33.66
Savings: $36.88

Scampered over to Save A Lot
3 lbs bananas
3 bags frozen veggies
one can cooking spray
chili powder
2 cans cream of celery
12 packs Flavor Aide
8 cans greens beans
2 cans potatoes
2 cans corn
olive oil
1 can sliced pineapple
5 packs gravy mix
10 lbs white rice
5 Del Monte fresh fruit cups
1.65 lbs zucchini
1 lb tater tots

Total: $39.66
Savings $2.00 in coupons
My total: $38.45

Headed to Piggly Wiggly for meat:
2 lbs ground turkey
4 lbs chicken breasts
5 lbs pork chops
2 lbs pork cubed steak

Total: $51.95
Sale price: $29.99
Savings: $21.96

Last stop....Food Lion
7 lbs country style ribs
Total: 17.65
Sale Price: $9.71
Savings: $7.94

Ok, so it took me about 6 hours and I was exhausted but if I had not been a careful shopper and paid full retail price, my total for groceries today would have been $263.51. With shopping the sales and using coupons strategically, I only spent $146.85, saving $116.66. How was that for smart shopping?

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Way to go, I would never have the energy to go to that many places. You do know Walmart with price match if it is an item they carry? I try to do that, but find that our local AG stores are sometimes cheaper than Walmart with their sales and I NEVER buy my meat at Walmart. Good shopping!

Stephanie Napier said...

i wish i had time to shop like that! want my list lol :-)

Unknown said...

I'm glad to see Wal-Mart wasn't in the mix! Actually, I wish we had more than a couple of grocery stores to choose from! Good for you for your investment of time, it paid off in savings!

Fred said...

What you need is a job @ Kroger. I get 10% off all Kroger Brand items. Sometimes(like between Christmas and New year's) it's 20% And for every 100 dollars I spend there I get......wait for it......wait for it $.20 off a gallon of gas. That's know missprint $.20.