Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hi Kari!

I had a comment from my reader Kari today that I would like to address. She asked if stores really take the printable coupons and if some store double coupons.

In our area, Kroger and Publix will double a coupon that has a face value of up to 50 cents. (meaning you save $1 with that coupon). If the coupon is over 50 cents, you get the face value of the coupon. About 2 months ago, our local KMart doubled coupons for one week only, however my sister lives in Baton Rouge and her store did not have that promotion going on.

As for printable coupons, I am really new to them, but I have printed out about one billion of them so far (lol) and have not had any trouble using them. They scan just like a regular coupon from the Sunday paper. Every once in a while the cashier does a double take on them, but takes them anyway. However, I have read on other blogs that some people have had store decline to accept them, but I have not experienced any problems so far at Publix, Kroger, WalGreens, Piggly Wiggly, or CVS.

When I print the coupons, I have found that some sites print 3 coupons per page, while other sites print one per page with a big advertisement or recipe. (This annoys me, as it wastes a lot of ink). To compensate, I run the paper back through upside down, so that another coupon prints on the back of the page on the reverse end of the first coupon. I also set my printer to print on "draft" mode and in black and white only so that color ink is not wasted. I don't see any sense in wasting money on ink to save money on groceries. Seems silly to me....

Also Kari, don't forget that if your store is running a buy one get one free promotion like Publix does, you are entitled to use 2 coupons. Even thought you are paying for only one item, you are still technically PURCHASING two items so you are entitled to use one coupon on each item. For example, this week Juicy Juice was BOGO at $3.49. I had two coupons for $1 off a 64 oz. bottle of Juicy Juice. So I paid $1.49 for two bottles, a little less than 75 cents per bottle.

Thanks for your comment and don't forget to check out the other blogs on my blog roll, especially Fiddledeedee and The Centsible Sawyer. They always have links to great coupons!

2 comments:

Kari said...

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to try it, anything to save a little money. I usually just stick to Wal-mart but there prices are climbing like crazy lately! Thanks again.

Kari said...

One more question, if you don't mind. What is the best way to find the coupons that correspond to the local stores weekly sales? Are there certain sites or is it a matter of sitting down with the ad and searching for coupons? Thanks again.